06.02.2019 | Bonn, Deutschland
How to engage men and boys in the abandonment of FGM?
FGM violates fundamental human rights such as the right to health and the right to protection of physical integrity, and it limits girls' and women's opportunities to develop. Preventing and combating all forms of violence against girls and women, including FGM, is a central concern of German development cooperation. Why is it crucial that men and boys are active agents in abandoning FGM? Which role can and should they play? What are the challenges and what has worked? These and other questions will be discussed among the experts and audience.
- 17:30: Opening by Heike Kuhn, head of Division 402 (Human rights, gender equality, inclusion of persons with disabilities), BMZ
- Viewing of short documentary Today in Guinea – We talk about FGM
- Reflections on the documentary from the audience
- Panel discussion with:
Holger Till, head of the GIZ project "Reproductive and Family Health", Guinea
Fatou Diatta, known as Sister Fa, musician and women's rights activist from Senegal
Solomon Zewolde, researcher and co-trainer in the civil society initiative "Men Speak Out" against FGM
- Musical performance by Sister Fa
- Closing remarks by Martin Ondrejka, Division 212 (East Africa), BMZ
The panel discussion will be held in English.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to make a joint statement against FGM!
Please send an informal application if you want to attend by 31 January by email to gendergiz.de